You can make a lovely spring bouquet, for yourself or someone else, with beautiful and colorful amaryllis. The go-to bloom spring bloom is also perfect for any arrangements you might want to send for Easter or even Mother’s Day.
Amaryllis are showy flowers that look stunning on their own or mixed into a group of other blossoms. They can be arranged traditionally, casually, or in a modern way to bring joy and smiles to anyone in contact with them.
Here’s a few facts, and a bit of history, about gorgeous amaryllis:
Amaryllis Fun Facts and Trivia
Amaryllis symbolizes beauty and love. It’s a flowering bulbed plant that has only one species, the belladonna lily (most popularly called the amaryllis belladonna lily). It’s often referred to as just amaryllis, but don’t get this flower confused with the Christmas amaryllis, because it’s definitely not the same flower or type of flower.
The Right Flowers in Your Inbox!
Sign up for our free notifications of new articles!
The ornamental amaryllis is not a lily either, through. It can be distinguished from members of the lily family by the placement of its ovary. Amaryllis are known for their boldly colored blooms and their tall, erect stems, which can be anywhere from five to 60 centimeters high. Each amaryllis stem is one to three inches in diameter and hallow, and it bears two to five flowers at the top with six tepals a piece (three outer sepals and three inner petals, which look similar to each other).
Besides an interesting composition, amaryllis is an exciting flower to have around because of the following:
- The amaryllis has flat leaves, like the lily, but they grow from leafless stalks.
- Amaryllis is a perennial, and it compliments a variety of other perennials and annuals.
- Amaryllis plants do have leaves, which are usually about ten to 60 centimeters long, but leaves and flowers grown on separate stalks.
- You’ll find amaryllis in many areas of the world, including in the topics, subtropics, and flatlands.
- Amaryllis hybrids are called Hippeastrum and they’re easy to find.
As you consider which spring bouquet you’ll bring into your home this season, or give to another, think seriously about choosing one that includes amaryllis.